Saturday, January 29, 2005

Mexico on my Mind

My friends from NY, Soumen and Jay, were here last week for a visit. We all took a little drive down to Ensenada to bask in the perfect 75 degree day and to drink Margaritas until bedtime arrived. We arrived fairly early in the day, in time for lunch, so we headed to town for a bite. Of course we had 2 sort of vegetarians, one omnivore, and a no fish eater in the group-- not easy in a coastal Mexican town built on the fishing industry. After much deferral to one another, you know the type, "No, really, you choose, I mean, it's up to you. Anything is totally fine with me." Yeah, right. As the designated driver and Mexico expert (never mind the fact that I hadn't been to Ensenada in about 20 years) the 3 boys leaned heavily on me to make decisions. So, after I stomped off at one point toward an unsavory back street, we finally found a less-than-ideal but adequate spot for lunch. Something on the menu for everyone but definitely catering to Gringoes. After lunch, we headed back to the beautiful Las Rosas hotel for our complementary Margaritas; The first of many that night.

Sitting at the bar looking out past the infinity pool to the sunset beyond, with a perfect Margarita in my hand, I was struck by wanderlust that had been simmering under the surface. I could so easily disappear. All my thoughts of moving to Mexico came rushing back, thoughts I had pushed to the back burner now that the front burner has been filled with a new job. The only thing, ok, maybe not the only thing, but one of the biggies that keeps me from taking off is my new job. I love it!

I am working for a nonprofit literacy organization as the special projects coordinator and development associate-- long title for a small woman-- 32 hours a week. I have three day weekends every week! And 32 hours is full-time as far as benefits go. I work with 2 other people that I really like, I have my own office, and Lola can come to work with me! Yea for me!

I have worked so hard over the past few years to carve out a work life and a life life that suits me. I think the fruits are finally ripe. And, if that's not cool enough, 2 of my poems were chosen for publication by a nifty online journal that I recently discovered. I think the editor and I have a similar sense of humor and outlook so I am pleased that he likes my work. I'll let you know when it comes out.

No comments: