Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Does It Make Any Sense?

I know I have addressed this topic before, but I am still amazed that people are still buying SUVs. With gas prices edging closer to what Europeans pay (and the actual price we should be paying if the industry wasn't subsidized), why do people continue to buy and drive those gas-hogging weapons-on-wheels? I mean, what other area of consumer culture would a person feel so righteous about being ripped off? Can you imagine someone buying a HUGE bag of chips and saying," Dude, look how cool I am. My bag has only 3 chips!" OK, scary, maybe that is imaginable. But with people always bitching about not getting a good value and wanting to buy the cheapest, fall-apart Walmart shit and then turning around and spending vast amounts of $$$ on a means of transport that they can't afford to maintain or keep fully fueled, well, I just don't get it.

Years ago, when Ford (who's bond rating was just downgraded) came out with the Excursion, their latest monster-sized SUV, I proffered up a name for them to consider for the next in the Explorer, Expedition, Excursion family -- The new Ford Excrement! Whaddaya think? Fits the
E- theme and gives an honest assessment of what the vehicle does to our roads, air, etc.

OK, rant over.

No comments: