Saturday, October 01, 2005

Fundraiser in the Asphalt Wasteland

Today, the nonprofit I work for had a little fundraiser at a local swap meet. First of all, it was too much sun and heat for this fair-skinned redhead, but worse than that was the unending human parade of what seemed to be the dregs of humanity. Now, I am not being particularly vicious, but some of the people that frequent the swap meet are gene pool bottom feeders. My child-free by choice existence may seem like a contradiction when one considers that I work for a children's literacy organization, but as I like to say, "If they're gonna breed 'em, we're gonna read to 'em." Now if I feel the social responsibility in ensuring that future generations grow up to read, why don't their parents? To whit, one scrawny crack-addled looking dude with a t-shirt that proclaimed "Friggin' Idiot" had at least 4 sprogs in tow and one on the way. We were practically giving away new children's books (donation only) and these people just walk by and scoff as the crack-boy says, "We don't support literacy, he he" with more than a shade of Beavis and Butthead in his voice. Now, he thought that was funny, but I saw his kids as a sad statistic.

Alas, I don't think I can go on about the obese, crappily-tattooed men walking around without shirts or the women, also obese with lame tattoos, eating scary fried concoctions and what I think were polish sausages. Of course they all had cell phones attached to their heads. Sheesh, so much for tolerance from my side of the fence.

No comments: